This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  steve.ela@macrohelix.com 4 days, 5 hours ago.

Batch process including headers/footers

• Hi folks!
    I have a project in Mirth that I need to convert over to Iguana. We take a flat file of HL7 messages with a header and 1+ footers, save the information to SQL, and then rebuild the file with updated information. The header and footer(s) need to be available for the rebuild.
    I see the built in batch process sample, but it says excluding the headers and footers.
    Anyone have an example of a file reader type that can extract headers, footers, and messages?

Thanks!
    Steve
    Iguana Newbie

Steve Ela
    Macro Helix / McKesson
    Software Developer / Integration Lead

Hi Steve,

I can give a shot at helping you out. Are the headers and footers static or do they differ for each batch? Also, are the outbound messages the same message types and structures as the inbound?

(You are correct that the batch process sample assumes that we are only consuming the batch data, discarding the envelope and processing each message individually).

Regards,

Casey Trauer,
    Director, Client Education
    iNTERFACEWARE

Per channel, the headers should be the same format (different data values).
    The Footers can be 1 to many, depending on how many sites are included in the one file.
    The file itself contains DFT messages.

The outbound file needs to be exactly like the inbound, with specific data values updated after our process, so the client can consume the updated information after retrieval.

Hope that answers your questions.

Thanks!

Steve Ela
    Macro Helix / McKesson

Hi Steve,

I know we discussed this over a phone call, but I’ll just share the gist of the answer here.

Once you have determined how you are going to bring the files in (From File or From Translator), you can extract headers and footers separately from DFT messages by creating VMD files that model the structure of just those headers. The hl7.parse function then will discard any segments not defined in that VMD. So separate VMD files for headers and DFT messages may be the way to go.

Casey Trauer,
    Director, Client Education
    iNTERFACEWARE

I set up a VMD with just the BHS and BTS segments.
    When I try to load in a file with the headers, it says it expects MSH first, and will not get past that.

Am I missing something?

Steve Ela
    Macro Helix / McKesson

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.