This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Jeff Drumm 3 years, 1 month ago.

Where is Chameleon?

• Hello, I’ve read that “The Chameleon™ HL7 messaging toolkit is included inside Iguana.” From my Iguana dashboard at http://localhost:6543/ where can I find Chameleon?

it is not possible to launch Chameleon from Iguana’s dashboard. it is recommended to use Iguana Translator scripts for development of new interfaces, instead of Chameleon’s vmd files.

lev, thanks for the prompt response!

Two questions:
    1. If I’m seeing an error such as “ZLW: This segment is not in the message’s grammar” then I’m thinking that I need to use a custom VMD file rather than the demo.vmd file.

In order to replace the demo.vmd, then I’d need to create a new VMD file and I must do that with Chameleon, yes?

2. Also, have you ever seen an MSH segment that started with a number such as “0000011640MSH”? Someone sent me some HL7 messages that start with numbers like that and I thought that a VMD file created in Chameleon can inform Iguana to expect these extra numbers so that Iguana can parse the file. However, I expect that Chameleon isn’t used for this purpose.

These are specific technical support question. I would recommend to use official standard Support channel for this sort of questions. support@interfaceware.com

Ok thank you. One general question, then. How do I open Chameleon if I’d like to look at it for any reason?

you will need to use the shortcut in Windows Start menu or on your Desktop (if any) or to launch vmstudio.exe file in Chameleon’s folder

Thanks, Lev.

Hi Lucas,

I think Lev’s original answer is a bit off the mark when it comes to HL7 and X12 interfaces, at least, and I’m afraid it might give potential users the impression that things have changed dramatically with the release of version 6.

While version 6 has a LOT of awesome and much appreciated new features, it includes nothing more in the way of HL7 modeling and parsing functionality than earlier versions. The easiest way to work with HL7 is to model your messages in Chameleon-generated VMD files, then import those files into Iguana for use with the hl7.message() and hl7.parse() functions.

Yours is a special instance, though, in that your HL7 messages are prefixed with some data that isn’t specifically part of the HL7 standard. You’ll likely have to manipulate the raw message in Lua, removing any extraneous data, before handing it off for parsing via hl7.parse(). If you then have to send messages back to that application in a similar format, you’ll have to do that to the stringified version of the message after all the data is mapped to it.

Jeff Drumm ◊ VP and COO ◊ HICG, LLC. ◊ http://www.hicgrp.com

The topic ‘Where is Chameleon?’ is closed to new replies.