The code splits a block of text into lines of my maximum specified length. This can be useful when forwarding a report to a downstream system that requires it to be formatted using shorter lines of text.
Using the Code [top]
- Import the Reformat Report channel from the Builtin: Iguana Tools repository
- Experiment with the code to find out how it works
- Then add the module to your Translator project
- Copy the require statement from the channel and add it at the top of your script
Note: This module uses require to return a single function
- Adapt the code to your own requirements
string.formatText()to split a block of text into lines with a specified max length
- Interactive scripting help is included for this module
This is the github code for the main module:
How it works [top]
First we count the number of lines in the report as it is originally formatted. We do this by splitting it into a table of individual lines (using the
string.split() function), then we count the number of rows in the table.
Then we reformat the report into lines of shorter length as specified by MAXLENGTH using the
string.formatText() function. Then we concatenate the table into a single string using
table.concat(). And finally we count the number of lines in the new report, in the same way as we did for the original.