High level overview
The science of web application development has changed a lot from the pre-AJAX days.
Web development used to heavy on the idea of HTML templates that you would flesh out with template centric programming languages like PHP to put your data in. Most of the work was in the back end on the server.
Now a good web application is more like a client server program where:
- The server is a source of data typically delivered via light weight efficient web service calls serving up JSON.
Why use the Translator for a Web Backend?
- Data driven test development with a much more comprehensive data driven auto-completion and code navigation than what a traditional IDE like Visual Studio can offer.
- No slow compile, link, execute and debug cycles like you face with C#. Lua is a dynamic language that has an ultra fast Just In Time compiler that has no noticeable delays giving an extremely fast turnaround cycle for iterative development.
- All of your milestones and source control and IDE are perfectly integrated to work together out of the box. You effectively have a versioning and deployment system out of the box which replaces tedious home grown control systems required to control what goes into production.
- Lua is a really simple safe language, you can learn it in a few days and then much more of your mental efforts can go on the application.
- The Translator comes with infra-structure you would otherwise have to build yourself like a logging and error notification system when the application has issues. For a one off application no developer could justify the effort required to make the logging system that comes with Iguana. It makes supporting the application written with the Translator in production very easy, it’s simple to see when exceptions occurred and reproduce them in the Translator environment.
- A dynamic language in the auto-completion data aware environment of the Translator is just so much more convenient for dealing with JSON and XML data than a static language like C#, C++ or Java.
It’s something we recognize internally, we’ve started to write all our internal applications using Iguana and the Translator, it’s so much faster and more convenient for these applications than the way we used to do things. Try it, you’ll enjoy it.